Sometimes we have to find ways to motivate our children. Perhaps to develop new habits or change old ones. Andrew really struggles getting to school on time. He likes to take his own sweet time and at his own pace not matter how much I remind him that "You need to hurry, you're going to be late!!!" Well, he got a letter from the principal that he had too many tardies and needed to try harder to be on time. You would think this would motivate him, but only slightly... then I had a grand idea! When his exercise ball popped, he wanted to get a new one so bad. Mmmmm, perfect opportunity/motivation... how about no exercise ball until he is consistently on time to school... Ah ha, great idea! It worked brilliantly! I have never seen him so motivated and moving so quickly in the morning, it was awesome!! After 2 weeks he got his ball, and now his consequence for being late...the ball is taken away for an extended period of time, until he proves that he is still "motivated" to be on time... still working like a charm!
No comments:
Post a Comment